Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snobbery and nonsense

I enjoy reading beauty blogs, but sometimes I come across the occasional post that ticks me off. Why does it seem like some popular beauty bloggers have to employ such snobbery? Why do they seem to assume that theirs is the only opinion that matters?
When the purpose of your blog is to inform people and educate them, (I'm talking specifically about that kind), there's not much need for superfluous cynicism and snarky comments. The point isn't to be as droll and witty as you can. I, for one, can only take so much of that nonsense. Give me the facts without embellishment and let me make up my own mind. I'll thank you for it in the long run.

The other thing that's bothering me is the widespread and damning scorn of independent makeup companies, especially ones which have at one time, or may still, sell repackaged makeup. If a company chooses to sell repackaged products, who cares? You certainly don't have to buy from them, do you? As long as they make it known they do so, and the repackaged items are clearly marked as such, then I have no problem with it. Nor do I care if the products are slightly more expensive than wholesale, nor whether their blends are necessarily the most unique on the market. (Though I'm not condemning those who do.) If I like the company and wish to support them, that's entirely my choice. If you're against it, you're free to let people know; but give us the facts and don't make it sound like we're scum for the choices we make. To each his (or her) own.

Don't worry, I'm not in the habit of posting rants lol. Most of the blogs I read are lovely, so if you're reading this then rest assured I was not referring to you! <3
These are just my feelings on a few matters I've been encountering in the beauty blogging world. I'm not intending to insult or upset anyone, but rather give a fresh perspective and hopefully some food for thought. If you'd like to leave a comment with your opinion, feel free to do so! :)

14 comments:

  1. I completely agree with the snobby bloggers! I on the other hand am witty and try to make light of a situation if the product just wasn't my thing. On my blog basically what you see is what you get. I write exactly how I would talk to you in person. I don't believe I am perfect in any way shape or form and want my blog to be a reflection of who I really am not some fairytale of who I want everyone to think I am on the internet.

    Great post!
    Kassandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly! There are many snobby bloggers, but I only subscribe to ones i truly enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I don't have something nice so say, then I am probably not going to say it... I'm just not one to be mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree too. There are snobby bloggers and mua's and unfortunately it doesn't stop at blogging, it rolls over to their tweets on twitter. Some act like they are blogging and mua goddesses but not all are like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kassandra I understand you and I wouldn't have you be anything else, Kassandra! I do think everyone should be themselves and not strive to be the hippest blog on the block, so to speak. Some people are just witty by nature, and I appreciate those people. I was referring more to those bloggers who can't just give a bad review of a product or company, they have to completely TRASH it. I just don't think it's cool, ya know?

    Thanks for your input! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rainy Days and Lattes That's what I try to do, as well, there are so many wonderful and interesting bloggers out there! I think they far outweigh the bad ones, at least the ones I've seen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Snooglerat Me too Anna, no matter how much I might want to lol. xD
    I just got a little tired of seeing the same opinions everywhere, I wanted to know if I was the only one who felt this way or if others noticed it too.

    I've never seen you say anything rude, you're a sweet and encouraging person. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ms. Viva Glam It makes me really appreciate the talented and kind bloggers I'm subscribed to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can overlook snobbery on personal posts (cuz I don't have to read it); I'd say my pet peeve is when the snobbery sneaks into their reviews. Aka reviews that consist of "it's amazing...yeah it's amazing...and I love it and everyone should try it" and then fail to list any reasons why -_- Like I'm supposed to just to take your word for it just b/c you're popular :P? I feel like reviewers should always try to be critical, even of their favorite products, and make an effort to be as picky as possible. It makes me sad that that many gurus don't think they have to do the research behind each product in order an informative review b/c they are entitled to simply to be listened too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this post! I totally agree with you! I tend to take the stance of staying out of all drama and nonsence. I also tend not to follow bloggers who I get a snobby impression from. Beauty blogging should be fun! I have met so many wonderful people and hope to continue to meet more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, you read my mind on this. I can't STAND that. I have two bloggers in mind who do this, that are really well known. It's like they feel like they HAVE to say something bad in every post. And I get tired of the shit talking about Lime Crime. I mean, let it go. They clearly have moved on from all that, everyone else should too.

    My favorite of the "well known" bloggers is Phyrra. I don't get that snobby impression from her at all, which is one of the main reasons I like reading her posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @InsideOut Elle I agree! Personal is personal, you can say whatever you want. Reviews (if they're trying to be professional and informative) should be just that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Annamax Yes exactly! I read a post about LC and it was so hostile and full of venom.. I appreciate the info, but I could do without all the negativity. :(

    I enjoy reading Phyrra, she seems to do a good job usually of being both informative and professional, and not shoving her opinions in people's faces lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! All feedback is appreciated! ^^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...