Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Smokey Makeup


Last week, my sister and I had some fun with makeup. :3 I wanted to use the new It Kit I got from mark. so I used the colors to create a smokey look, which I've always wanted to try!

First I used my Sonia Kashuk concealer palette on and around my eyes and nose to even my skintone. Then I buffed mark. Powder Buff in Ivory all over my face. Next I smudged NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk from lashline to browbone, and Sephora white eyeliner at my inner corners and waterline.
Next I used a chubby shadow brush to spread Vanity, the shimmery blueish-gray shade in the kit, all over my lid. Then I used Ruffle, the shimmery vanilla shade, from my inner corner up and around my browbone, blending it a bit with the gray shade. Then I used a smudge of the matte dark gray shade called Amped in my crease, blending very well.
I lined my upper lashlines with mark. Eyemarker in Jet (black) and used a small eyeliner brush to blend the line. I decided I needed more dimension, so I got out my mark. Rebel Rose quad and used Corset, the dark shimmery gray, over the eyeliner, blending upwards to soften. I then used the pearly white shade called Rebel on my very inner corners and my browbone for more highlight.
I used Almay black liquid liner in my upper lashline, and added 3 coats of mark. Make It Big mascara in Raven, and a coat of Scandalash in Blacklash on my upper lashes. I don't usually put mascara or liner on my lower half, but for the smokey eye I did use some MIB mascara to emphasize my lashes. A little medium warm brown shadow from the CS 88 Matte palette smudged into my brows filled them out and completed my eye look.

On my skin I used Everyday Minerals Medium Bronzer to contour and add warmth to my look; I brushed the powder in the hollows of my cheeks, on my cheeks and temples, over my eyebrows, on my forehead by my hairline, down my nose, and along my jaw, neck and chest, making sure to blend very well. On top of that I blended some of the Pro Golden blush from the It Kit. It's very soft in texture, and very pigmented and sparkly. :)
On my cheeks/cheekbones I rubbed in some of the lightest pink shimmer cream from the kit with my fingers. It's very creamy and pearly and makes a nice highlighter with a little sheen. (What I really wanted for this look was mark.'s Just Pinched gel blush stick in Cheeky, a baby pink color. But I don't have that particular one, so I made do with what I had.)
On the apples of my cheeks for some extra color, I dusted on some of the peachy shimmery blush from the mark. Urban Neutrals Flip For It.
On shiny spots I patted on some mark. Powdermatic powder, which I love but I don't think they sell it anymore. :(

Finally, on my lips I patted on some Revlon Colorstay foundation with my finger to blot out the color, and then topped it with mark. Pro Gloss in Sexy and Glow Baby Glow in Peekaboo. Both are awesome colors for a neutral lip, which is perfect for a smokey eye!

I always thought a smokey eye would be hard to do, but this was surprisingly easy. I enjoyed using the It Kit; the only downside was I thought the gray shadows in the kit were a little chalky and powdery. The color payoff wasn't amazing, but I just used a bit more shadow to compensate. (It could also be because they're new...) The vanilla shade and the blush however are gorgeous!
All in all, I had fun with it and I like how it turned out! I don't normally do my makeup this heavy for going out, but I could see myself maybe doing this look for a special occasion or something. :)

Thanks so much for reading! :D
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...